Did you know that as of the end of 2011 there were 70 million WordPress blogs and 39 million Tumblr blogs? (Source Pingdom). 70 million WordPress blogs! And as we’re nearing the end of 2012, that number must now be significantly higher.
It’s quite mind blowing and just a little bit soul destroying if you own or write a blog. How on earth can you cut through the noise and make yours stand out? Here are some tips:
- Give your blog a theme. It’s no good just waffling on about anything, you need to have a purpose, something that gives your blog meaning.
- Use posts that link your theme to something newsworthy. When an American dad, who blogs about his son who has Down Syndrome, posted about a Target advert that features a Down Syndrome child, he got thousands of Facebook shares and received plenty of links to his blog.
- Post consistently. Just like social media, blogging requires effort. It’s no good blogging every few months. You need to be consistent and post according to your audience whether that is daily or weekly.
- Use images and videos. Posting photos, images or videos instantly gives your readers something more. They begin to feel like they know you and start relating to you.
- Use social media to boost traffic. Make your social media followers aware that you have a new posting and link to your blog.
- Respond to all comments. Even if they’re negative. People like it when the author of a blog is interactive and responsive. Plus it’s only polite!
- Include list posts. This blog post is an example of a list post. Search engines like them and they allow readers to get information quickly.
- Develop relationships with other bloggers. Comment on their blogs and invite them to comment on yours. You can also try to guest edit on other people’s blogs to gain more exposure.
- Check spelling and grammar. Don’t put readers off by littering your posts with plenty of mis-spellings and bad grammar. Check everything thoroughly before posting.
- Give your readers an emotion. If you can make them laugh or feel inspired, then you will keep them coming back for more!
That should get you en route to a better blog!